News

Mother jailed for spanking daughter with a belt

A mother who hιt her child with a belt and her hands in a school parking lot was arrested by
police on Tuesday.

The girl told police that this is not the first time her mother had abυsed her.

According to the girl, her mother picked her up from Bishop Dunne Catholic School in Texas and a verbal confrontation between them quickly escalated to slαpping.

FOX 4 reports that the girl went back into the school and called 911 on her mother.

Shannetta Robinson says she was upset that her daughter missed her tutoring class.

Police say the girl told them she spotted a belt when she got in her mother’s car. Then, according to the daughter, Robinson “began to hιt the girl with the leather portion of the belt causing pain.”

The mother also allegedly told the girl that “she was grounded and that she could not use her cell phone, play sports or go outside.”

The girl suffered minor injuries, including “a cυt on her right temple and her left and right eye showed bloοd clots,” according to the affidavit.

After the incident the girl was placed in Child Protective Services.

Robinson, who took over half an hour to get back to the school after being contacted by officers, said she whιpped the child because “she was tired of dealing with the girl.”

The girl told police that her mother had also “taken all her furniture out of her bedroom and made her sleep on the floor as punishment.”

What do you think about this incident? Should the mother have been arrested?

74 thoughts on “Mother jailed for spanking daughter with a belt

1. Leonia Du'Cre Cyiark

I will not say beat your child up but I rather say whip your child (not to bruise them up) rather than have a police hit them over the head with a club or shoot them to death

• Ronda

I don’t remember spanking my kids too many times past elementary school; after that point taking things and privileges away Was way more effective. My children knew that they didn’t have to “run” away either…I went without many things but they NEVER did. If that unhappy, I’d even be willing to pack a “going away” lunch for them.

2. GWHIZ

I say send her to a white foster home, arm her with an assault rifle, let her shoot some people at school or the movies, have the judge in her case declare her unfit for punishment because of “blackfluenza, and then let her be a continuing menace to society.

• Harold I. Brown

We are allowing the influence of what is called main stream society to change the way we rear OUR children. Yet main stream societies’ children kill them and everyone
      else who get in their way.

• sharon anthony

If she was ian a weathy white foster home would it be “affluenza, accompanied by blackluenza”? Just wondered. I don’t agree with the mom actually hitting this child to the point of drawing blood, but if she is that out of hand something needs to be done. I really don’t know what. Knew a grandma who was trying to raise her grandson, she tried so hard, when he was 14 he was shot while on the street selling crack. Oh yeah he’s dead. This poor woman, she went to family court, police, therapist, you name it. Child would not behave. May he RIP.

3. Elliott

It is a shame that those who have nothong to do with the everyday occurances with a child will tell a parent how to raise them.AParents have a challenge raising children in this constantly changing society. Children can cause a parent to go insane with the thought that all the dchild has to do is call 911 and the parent will be arrested, exclusive of just what th so caalled “child abuse” might consist of, usually very minimal.

Should this parent have been arrested, I say no. I do feel that if the child does not want to be under the roof of a parent that is attempting to set a path for sucess for their child, put them in CPS and raise hell with someone else. Children today have all the rights and parents are “handcuffed” and afraid to reprimand their children. Of course, “Those with the Gold have the Control” and have nothing invested.

Again, no she should not hav been arrested.

• Ms Frazier Muhammad

I agree Mother can not chastise or disciples be her child but police can kill them n go on paid vacation now you know this is some body waste.

• G Boggs

I agree with you that no one should have been arrested and let CPS deal with the child. Mom, go take a vacation while they have her. When you get back, they’ll be ready to give her back.

• Marie Cobbs

I am 76 years of age and raised five children after divorcing my husband. The first two of my children I used corporal punishment; whipping and then I started to read about other options of discipline. I have two boys and three girls, none of whom have spent time in jail, two with degrees which is why I don’t support corporal punishment. I hear a lot about whipping children so that the police won’t have to. This way of thinking goes back to slavery when parents had to beat their children so they would act right for the white people, continuing on after slavery. The same logic is used today. But the difference today is we have some say so about what happens in our lives. For example with police brutality, what are we doing about it other than talking, have you participated in any demonstration? If we want to have some say so in how we discipline our children we have to actively changed the law

4. Anikay

I think Black folk need to learn to live, read and breathe other than by rote.
    Just because slave ancestors beat their children and the bible says so does not at all mean it
    is the only path.

Too Blacks are drowning in rhetoric; ” I’m blessed”, “Turn to your neighbor and say” “God is good.. ”
    Same stuff years upon end

Learn to read, think and discern for yourself. Free yourself from debilitating cultural modes of behavior

If pressed the average one couldn’t name the 50 US states.

Why? because if it doesn’t come from the preacher’s mouth it has no validity in the average single Black mother’s mouth.

Mom, daughter need intervention. Teaching children to use violence (being beat w a belt) to achieve an end is wrong.

• Lesley

Words spoken from a person who probably has no children or has children that people don’t like to be around. Just about every culture with people of color discipline their children by some form of corporal punishment not just slaves. I disagree with your views and I am probably more educated than you. Everything doesn’t work for every child, some children require the use of corporal punishment.

5. Regina

A belt? I would have tore her a$$ up with a dogwood switch. Those switches do not break they bend and then I would turn her butt over to CPS and tell them they can have her and I will not pay one dime of child support. I am paying the cost to be the boss.

That brat wants to act up and be grown, hey, show her the door and when the stupid social worker talk about parenting classes I will wrap that fool one as well.

I feel sorry for the mother. This girl is nothing but trouble.

• morrisd

I absolutely agree with you Regina. She knew she was wrong and when her mother did what she should have done as a parent, she runs back to the school to lie to the individuals there and to get her mother arrested. Now the mother has had all parental authority stripped from her. You called CPS well now that’s who you can call mommy cause you would never be allowed back in my house and now you will get to see what real abuse is. See ya and I wouldn’t want to be ya

6. B. Wash

I would pay for her to stay in Foster Care at least 6 months and demand she apologize to me for calling the police …!

7. redinald williams

when this lady get out of jail I will get her things together an put her ass out, your parents want the best for you, teen these days use system against parents when they don’t get their way, before that lady was arrested they did a check her again black is picture as bad person.

8. DJ

I turned out fine respectful no jail time did chores punishment and got my tail whipped kids are to spoiled these days and out of control and act like you owe them everything and they havent lived long enough to do nothing. Smb

9. Louise

The girl called the cops on her mother so let her go with the cop. If she goes home with her mother she will forever use this treat that she’s going to call the cops. The mother was upset because she missed her tutoring class, that was to help the kid!!! I say let her stay with in the system until she can see that they aren’t going to take her mess either.

10. Madeline Sandy Sanders

I do not believe in beating a child (Note: No kid should have evidence of bruises.), but whacking them with one’s hand or a belt is not out of order. In this instance, it sounds like the girl is out of control, and the mother sounds like she’s exhausted from the nonsense with her recalcitrant belligerent child. Unless a child’s life is in imminent or delayed danger, under no circumstances should (s)he believe that it’s acceptable to phone 911, and, if I had a child even attempt to do that to me who I am taking care of, feeding, clothing, educating, and ensuring a well rounded life experience, I would teach him/her a lesson that they’d never forget! Let them live at a homeless shelter for awhile! Moreover, Black kids, especially, need to know that if they get caught in a child protective system, they can expect to be subjected to abuse unlike anything they’ve ever experienced (i.e. beatings, molestation, rape, verbal and emotional abuse, etc.) Lastly, I am exhausted with folks other than Blacks attempting to impose their standards of child rearing on Black adults and Black children. Be clear, we will not hear about this happening, with very little exception, to any other race.

• morrisd

You’re right you won’t hear this happening with any other race but you know what you will hear? Child kills mother and father in sleep, child goes to school and shoots and kills several people, child kills father’s girlfriend, child assaults elderly, child commits mass shootings and stabbing etc. And you know why? BECAUSE CHILD DIDN’T GET HIS ASS BEAT! And to hell with all of this psychoanalytical bs about how getting a whooping is a precursor to being violent as an adult. If that was the case everybody born between 1950 and 1965 would be monsters because we got our butts WHOOPED. However I think we were the last great generation. Coincidence, I think not.

• TheAngel

Tell the truth. I got mine and I learned to be respectful, honest, never been arrested, graduated high school and college! It works. And you are so right about the headlines we see but whites seems to overlook those small headlines for the one the media push to the forefront of every paper, the ones about crimes committed by blacks when white commit massive murders both here and abroad on a daily basis. SMH

• Faye

I agree with you wholeheartedly. It is incredible to me that the same law that will harass and jail a parent for correcting a wayward child, will arrest and incarcerate that same child because they were never taught boundaries, or respect for others. It is mind boggling that this foolishness continues. There is clearly a difference between discipline and abuse. When a child is disciplined it is not designed to make them feel good. It’s purpose is to modify behavior through discomfort/pain. Which part of that is confusing? Yes we all recognize that there are some unfit parents, in all races. But for the most part Black parents, especially Mothers would stop a bullet for their child. The motivation for correction is love. I can tell you that I would rather have cut off my hand than to have dialed 911 on my Mother, ever, period. My problem would have been where would I have gone after the cops left. I would have need protective custody.

11. D

Their strategy continues to work. Slaveowners beat us because they hated us, convinced us to hate each other so now we get mad when our own children gets fed up with being beaten like a slave. The rod scripture everyone loves to quote speaks about herding sheep——If this mom spent more quality time with her child saying and showing love vs disdain this wouldn’t have gotten to this point. A question for all these poeople that say beat’em…When was the last time you told your child I LOVE YOU with a smile ????

• The Comment Police

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭22‬:‭15‬ KJV)

Can you please clarify which part of this scripture is in reference to sheep? I’ll wait.

12. GLOVER

GET OUT OF HERE WITH THAT “BS” ABOUT SPANKING KIDS. SOME OF THESE KIDS ARE SO FAR OUT OF CONTROL THAT SPANKING IS THE ONLY THING THEY SEEM TO UNDERSTAND. WHERE DID THIS “ISH” COME FROM WITH ARRESTING PARENTS FOR SPANKING THEIR KIDS. THE PUBLIC DOESN’T KNOW WHAT GOES ON IN THESE HOMES AND HOW MUCH THESE PARENTS GO THROUGH TRYING TO RAISE THESE KIDS. THIS COUNTRY IS BUILDING MORE JAILS AND FOCUSING MORE ON LOCKING UP PARENTS THAN SOLVING THE ISSUE OF KIDS OUT OF CONTROL. AS SOON AS THEY TOOK PRAYER OUT OF SCHOOLS, SPANKING KIDS, CLOSING RECREATION CENTERS AND CLOSING SCHOOLS THAT’S WHEN THE TURN FOR THE WORSE TOOK PLACE. THESE VIOLENT LYRICS AND VIDEOS AND VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES ALL CONTRIBUTE TO THE DEMISE OF THE FAMILY SYSTEM THAT GOT MOST OF US WHERE WE ARE TODAY. IT SEEMS AT TIMES CALCULATED. GTFOH WITH THAT ARRESTING PARENTS FOR WHOOPIN THEIR KIDS. WE’D RATHER WHOOP ‘EM AND GET ‘EM STRAIGHT TO KEEP THEM ON THE RIGHT TRACK BECAUSE ALL SOCIETY HAS FOR ‘EM IS JAIL. GTFOH!

13. SweetTweet

This parent was probably fed up with the daughter. The parent forgot that school personnel are “mandated reporters”.

14. sherrie chapman

NO! She should NOT have been arrested.are THE PLOICE GOING TO ARREST evERY parent who WHIPS their child/ OR just the BLACK PARENTS who whip their children? The child was too quick to call the police on her mother. someone(white) must have told her to do that.. She will now see her mother was just tring to instill righteous and good behavior. So now, what will this child do? She will have to live with her decision to call the police on her mother… Its a shame….. this family is now broken forever.

15. Georgia Johnson

We must take control of our children these Judges, polices don’t care, What they care about is this, Filling the Prisons and GRAVEYARDS with the BODYS of our CHILDREN A JUSTICE SYSTEM that allow the SLAUGHTER of our children by MEN WEARING A BADGE that call them self POLICE show us everyday how much they CARE, The person that wrote a BOOK , About Why African American whip their children, Should have done some RESEARCH in African HISTORY before making a statement about why we WHIP our Children, Has nothing to do with Slave owner whipping our ANCESTOR. Others groups of cultures spank their children in American, And they were not brought here as SLAVES. The Abuse of Children is not RIGHT I Don’t care who do it .This Mother was during what she though would help her child, I ASK AGAIN, What make Black folks think they CARE When the Prisons are full of our People, They are KILLING OUR CHILDREN EVERYDAY?

16. Anthony allen

Since she doesnt appreciate a mother who cares let her go. Then lets see how well she does out there. Beating your child is no more slave mentality than time out is. Stopping being weak. I wore my kids out when they earned it and they thanked me later. I saved them from the cops killing them. Slave mentality is letting that bible and white man tell you how to think.

17. Ms. Teretha Lanera Banks

NOW IM NOT THE ONE TO JUDGE AND I DON’T KNOW WHAT’S GOING ON IN THIS HOME SO I’M NOT GONNA SAY ONE WAY OR THE OTHER ABOUT WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED BECAUSE I DON’T LIVE THERE BUT I WILL SAY THIS I’M ONE OF THE PARENTS WHO DON’T BELIEVE IN SPANKING MY CHILD BUT THAT DON’T MEAN I WON’T I CHOSE THAT ROUTE BECAUSE I KNOW ME WHEN I’M ANGRY MY DAUGHTER MAKES ME GO THERE SOMETIMES THOUGH WITH THE ATTITUDE N THE SMART REMARKS BUT I LET HER KNOW THAT I SAID I DON’T BELIEVE IN WHOOPING YOUR A** I DIDN’T SAY I WON’T. CHILDREN TODAY ESPECIALLY TEENS GET TO DATING AND THESE LITTLE GIRLS/BOYS START TO FILLING THEIR HEAD UP WITH BS AND YOU CAN’T TELL THEM ISH SO SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IN ORDER TO KEEP THAT CHILD ON THE RIGHT PATH BECAUSE OUR SOCIETY IS GONE TO HELL AND TO KEEP YOUR CHILD IN HEAVEN SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO PUT YOURSELF IN HELL….IJS

18. ruth

That is a private school in my Dallas. So this little girl is disrespectful and unruly. Mother was fed up. Arrest was unnecessary. Put her in public school let her get a taste if real life.

19. Eric Matterson

This world is changing for the worse. What is normal discipline is not considered abuse. This is why teachers have so much trouble in the classroom, the crime rate, black unemployment, and poverty rate is so high. This just hurts us economically and socially.

• Cambie

Spankings are not going to make up for an absence of an engaged father in the home. We act like it is normal for women to have babies on their own. Young men are being raised by mothers who are not many years older than them.

20. Cambie

This girl is out of control . There appears to be a complete breakdown between the mother and daughter. The truth is that beatings/spankings do not work. Where is the child’s father. This is a single mother who is struggling to keep her broken family together. If beatings worked our children would not be out of control running the streets all over the country.
    Beating perpetuates the cycle of violence that is endemic in the black community . We have high rates of domestic abuse and black on black crime rates are extremely high. Black females make up 8% of the American population but are responsible for 30 % of all women killed by husband or boyfriend. What we have is violence on violence.
    This lady is going to get what she is afraid of, a daughter who runs the street. She is going to find love somewhere and it will not be at home. The mother has no self discipline. She couldn’t wait to get her home to start the beatdown.

• Rick

Cambie your wrong, 1st off if these kids was to get spankings they wouldnt be running around in the streets, 2nd they probably running around in the streets because no one care. I got whoopings and i turned out just fine, no jail time, no robbing or killing people, no selling drugs and i been on my job for 12 yrs and might i add my mother passed away when i was 18. So if she hadnt stayed on me there is no telling what i would be doing out here in these streets, maybe i would have a ski mask on trying to break in your crib and may i also add my father was not around. There is a difference between Child Abuse and a Whooping.

21. Sonja Mack

Of course they are telling the children, ” if you are hit or spanked tell us” but this system doesn’t give a damn about our children. Just as Georgia said, all they’re interested in is filling the cemeteries and prisons with the bodies of our children or ourselves. Who the hell voted for this piece of legislation anyway? I don’t recall voting for this. This system changed this to suit themselves so they can make money off of blacks who they exploit and hate with a passion. I will TELL each and everyone of you whether you accept this as truth or not. I use to wonder why they hated blacks so much and NOW I KNOW WHY. Are you ready to hear this? WE are the Hebrews of the Bible AND THEY KNOW IT. The Jews in Israel today ARE NOT THE REAL JEWS. They don’t believe in Christ at all. Read Deuteronomy 28:68 And I will bring you into Egypt again WITH SHIPS. Egypt means BONDAGE. Now you know who you really are if you have any questions let me know. I will also direct you attention to Youtube. Look at GOCC -the heathen influence on the Jews. Start watching follow with KJV1611 as the others have been changed to throw you OFF. The mother has a right to whip her. Scripture tells you to whip them for correction. Sometimes a punishment is worse than spanking. Be blessed and No I am not a Christian I found out that this is a pagan religion handed down by the Roman Catholic Church and the Zionist Jews who worship Satan. If you think I’m crazy just do as I instructed your eyes will be opened. Shalom

22. Dr. Edwards

It’s better for the parents to spank or whip their child’s butt than for the police to kill then before they reach their 15th birthday. I spanked my daughter’s butt at the present one evening and drew an ovation from the police present after they heard getting totally out of control.

When I lose the ability to raise my child, it’s time for them to take their room out of my house and move it into theirs and then they can do as they please. But as long as their room is in my house, I’m in charge of my house and all therein.

23. SUGAR HILL, NEW YORK

NO DISRESPECT TO THE OTHER PEOPLE THAT MADE COMMENTS. I WAS NOT ABLE TO READ ALL OF THE THINGS SAID BY OTHERS. WHAT I DID NOTICE WAS THE TERM ‘FOSTER HOME’ IN SOME OF THE COMMENTS. I WORK IN A SHELTER, WHERE I SEE CHILDREN, AS YOUNG AS 6 YEARS SLAP THEIR PARENTS, OR THROW OBJECTS AT THEM.N I SAW A 13 YEAR OLD MALE THROW UP HIS HANDS TO HIS FATHER AS IF THE KID WANTED TO GO TOE-TO-TOE WITH FATHER. I GREW UP IN THE 70’S. I SWORE I KNEW MY KNEW WHAT I WAS THINKING. THIS GENERATION OF PARENTING ARE FILLED WITH PUNK ASS PARENTS. THE TERM ‘FOSTER HOME’ WAS BROUGHT UP (WHEN I WAS A KID) IF A KID WAS TRUANT, THEN HIS/HER WENT TO A GROUP UPSTATE. THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO STAY OUT OF OUR HOMES.

24. HABH

Arresting this mother, and placing the child in state custody is uncalled for. Generally, I do not rule out spanking as a last resort. What parents having difficulty dealing with unruly children need, is help, including councilling, not jail time. Tearing a child from it’s natural parents is as detrimental to the child as it is to the parents. Suppose we employ a system that prepares and enables parents to appropriately manage their children, rather than one that encourages children to defy their parents, and then in later years get shot dead on the streets by the police, assuming of course that they survive the so called protective services agencies?

25. TALIA

Do not put your hands on children when you are angry. This is why. I don’t agree that the child should not have been disciplined, but mom should have cooled down before placing hands on her. Bruises are never ok. We want to discipline out of LOVE not anger. Doing so in anger can sometimes lead to unwanted things occurring. A cut on her temple and blood clots… NO. Too far. Who know what else would’ve happened had they went home. If mom was so frustrated then yes, seek out help. Parenting classes, seek out therapists, the scared straight program. They aren’t slaves. You don’t get to take your anger out on them. ROOTS outraged us! raise all kinds of hell when police misuse their authority because they beat one of our kind instead of following procedure. Be smart. Get creative.woosaw before you whoopa! I hope you have a good lawyer. And can get some help for your family mama. I’ll pray for you all.

26. Marie Cobbs

Like all rules and laws made in this country, we are not consulted this is also true in relation to disciplining our children. In order to change that we have to actively participate in the activities in this country not only by voting but working to make sure the type of person running is who we choose. A lot of people like to say they are not political but as you can see everything in your life is political. At your church have a political action committee; have a political committee in every origination you belong and discuss the things that affect your lives. Instead of just making comments on websites like this one do something about it.

27. G. R. Robinson,

Unless I missed something ,I did not see the age of the child, anything about the family system or any other stories of either mom’s behavior or the daughter’s past behavior in school or out of school. For the daughter not to show up in class without notifying mom or teacher that she was “in the hospital or some other barrier to being where she was supposed to be ” she would accompany me to children’s service. THe legislators who write these laws do not consider anything about who members of families are or who is in control. Apparently the daughter complained about Mom’s taking other privileges as if she is entitles to those items.
    I believe that mom should call the juvenile system or the judicial system and construct a learning for her. Are there other children? As a mom I had strict rules and articulated them plainly. Even a couple of Ohio judges disagreed with this approach.
    Let the daughter take what she has earned, worked for and get her own residence since “she’s grown” and disruptive. She should not be allowed to control the family.

28. Annette W.

These are not the times of the 70’s and the 80’s. Unfortunately, in this day and age we don’t have the luxury of punishing or children how we choose to do so. I’m all for whoopin’ a child’s azz when it’s needed. With that being said, the mama should’ve had enough common sense not to whoop her child in a public parking lot. By getting the police and CPS involved, this will set the precedent on how she gets to punish her child in the future. That daughter of hers is going to be a problem from here on out. She’s going to always threaten the mama with the police. I guarantee it!

29. Gwen

Ok here it goes. I work in a school system and some of the kids are off the chain. We call their parents and some say what you want me to do I can’t do anything with them at home. Wow really. They are scared for they have been told they could not discipline their child. I have seen parents come to the school talk to their children in the morning and before school is out that same child is back in the office. Children know they got parents scared of disciplining them. I am a single mother by choice for I adopted my nieces to keep them out of the system for their parents were not fit to raised them (drugs). I have given them love, they are involved in school, church and community and I use a variety of discipline but believe this I have no fear of using the belt. My mother use to tell us if you want to call the police call the undertaker too. In other words we are taking care of you, feeding, clothing and other things and you want to call the police or children services on us. I have a 12 year old daughter and are going to war on things. I tell her this is my house and I don’t care what so and so does and what goes on in that house, I take care of this house for I work everyday to provide. That mother should have waited till she got home but at times we find as parents are so tired of our children thinking they control things. But I am here to tell you I will give my children the belt and it is in love. I have a son 33 college graduated with two children of his own and we have a beautiful relationship. Parents everywhere should feel comfortable in disciplining their child / children as they see fit as long as it does not turn into broken bones or abuse. Too many children are ending up in the system till the age of 18 because no one wants them for they are too old, have problems and than they are graduated out of the system to do what…… In a home there is love, attention and someone to care. Let us each look in the mirror and be honest. Did not mean to be long but things must be said. This is not slavery this is war for our children are being failed by the system. Allow parents to be parents.

30. t_99

My son is now 12. When he was 4, he cut up at day care. My husband worked from home, so he quickly reported to the center to handle that. He was going to spank my son, but the center director immediately stopped him. She told him that he could spank his child, but NOT on their property. If he spanked him on the property, then she’d have to call the police. My husband took my son to my father’s house, spanked him there and then returned him to day care. My son finished his day at day care with no more issues…ever! I think that this parent’s immediate issue, and subsequent arrest, resulted from spanking her child on school property (Yes, the parking lot counts as school property). Her bigger issue of her daughter’s lack of discipline and respect for adults started long ago.

31. JAY

I believe in spanking…if that was my daughter she called the cops on me…they will definitely be coming for me and the ambulance would be coming for her…and the system would have to keep her if I cant discipline her…as long as I am supporting you. you will do as I say including following the rules…two woman can’t live under one roof…this is why most of these kids are out of control.

• JAY

@ Neida Bailey…so sorry to hear that…I am a single mom too and I would be dammed if I would let any kid rule me or anyone telling me how to raised my kids or that I can’t spank butts. When the kids are out of control on the streets they blame the parents. I told the kids as long as they don’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. They have not say.

32. Nelda bailey

I, 2 has been arrested. 4 spanking a 14yrs old with leather belt. I spent 5 days in jail. 4th child only three at the most in a life time. Convicted of cruelty to child. $100,000 bail. 3yrs probation. $700 Fine. No contact til grad from HS. I was not even allowed to read report becuz child was a minor. At age 50. First time arrested and jailed. Single parent of four. To this day I have not seen child. I have been a hands on parent..cooked everyday, advocate and school, took to dental , medical appts. Sole person providing shelter in such. GAY neighbors called police. WHO should have stayed out of situation. White sheriff said child was too old for spankings. But can shoot em down in the streets..Parents rights are moot.

33. CJ

I am SO VERY offended by mom being arrested. The absolute nerve of anyone to suggest to me that I CANNOT remedy a problem with my child any way I want to!!! You dont want me to beat them but you will gladly make space for them in prison when they act up. This society is sick!

34. Ester Holzendorf

Hopefully somebody with common sense will be assigned to work with this family. There are many issues that have to be identified and dealt with. Obviously this child has pushed mom to the limit and the mother is tired. If the proper help is not put in place right now, this child probably will end up in the system, abused and misused or dead. That’s just the facts. I am retired from corrections and socia services. Hopefully a lot of do gooders who does not have a clue won’t be allowed to get their hands on this case. I have seen too much of the meddling and no real social work being done. I hope this family gets the help they need.

• Jay Jay

I really don’t think this kid is in danger of being killed by a parent who loves her enough to send her to PRIVATE CATHOLIC SCHOOL! I have felt the frustration. This young lady seems to be in adolescents — have we forgotten what happens during that time! This is a little strong.

35. Jay Jay

I typically don’t share my opinion because advice for each case of using corporal punishment is usually situational. However, here goes! I have 2 children. Both successful adults who were born 5 years apart in the early 80s. The older child caught the brunt of our child-rearing techniques, learned from our parents. While I know that this child loves me dearly (mother), I know today that many times he was ABUSED! When I look back at some of the feelings that I had when “disciplining” him – I must say that while he was obstinate, disobedient, talked too much, was loud, lied, talked back and was ALWAYS insistent on getting the “last word”; it does not excuse the anger and frustration that we allowed to be a part of our response to him! That’s what constitutes ABUSE! Thank God that by the time the second child came, we had learned better and did not repeat the “frustration and anger” reactions, even though there were times when she received a few “spankings” as well.

When applying Biblical principles to discipline, the shepherd NEVER beat the sheep. The spankings are more about “goading, directing, and guiding” them with nudgings that led them into green pastures (a better way), to get their attention to go in the desired direction. The fear of God (reverence for; high regard for) is the beginning of wisdom (applied knowledge)! Children must be taught to have reverence for their parents, God, themselves and other TRUSTWORTHY adults. At the same time, parents must not provoke children to anger! BEATINGS, slaps, smacks and anything like that leads to anger…even if the anger doesn’t show up immediately … it just repeats itself in poor child-rearing practices! That’s why our society is so very violent! It’s not happenstance. It’s learned, tolerated behavior! Child-rearing is not for the faint-hearted, broken-brow, loveless or lonely.

By the way, that first kid was/is a natural crusader – He is an attorney. The second child is a passionate social justice advocate – an educator! Looking back, that’s what they ALWAYS were! Both just needed parents willing to love, respect and guide them situationally!

36. Maria Johnson

So it’s okay for the kids to beat the parents and teachers but you are not allowed to discipline your child? These kids now of days have no respect and think that the world owes them everything. This mother can’t be that bad if the girl has a cell phone and plays sports. Kids today take too much for granted and I would let her stay in CPS and see how fast she wants to come home. My daughter is 41 and still respects me enough to not curse in front of me and the same for her friends. I can count on one hand how many times I actually had to use a belt on her, I only spanked her when it was something really serious that she did and it might have been dangerous to her but I didn’t have to spank her often because respect was instilled in her. As I’m sitting here listening to the news about another shooting in a school outside of Seattle. SMH Keep letting this society rule how to raise your kids we haven’t seen anything yet. I think no child should be abused but there has to be discipline and respect taught and sometimes it may call for a spanking.

37. kay

HMMM THIS IS A BAD MOTHER??????
    Shannetta Robinson says she was upset that her daughter missed her tutoring class, told the girl that “she was grounded and that she could not use her cell phone, play sports or go outside.” also “taken all her furniture out of her bedroom and made her sleep on the floor as punishment.”
    I BELIEVE THE BELT CAME BECAUSE ALL ELSE HAD FAILED. SHE TRIED OTHER ALTERNATIVES, LOOK WHAT THE LADY HAD TRIED. SOMETIMES IT COMES TO A POINT WHERE THE BELT IS NECESSARY. BUT LET HER GO INTO FOSTER CARE, HOPEFULLY, SHE WON’T COME OUT PREGNANT OR WORSE….People get kids taken from their parents and then theire job is done but what they don’t know is that foster home is HELL and since they aren’t actively involved behind calling the authorities, they’ve just sentenced that girl to a life and memories that can scar her for life! I know several that wish they could find the one that got them taken out of their parents home they would wipe their AZZZ!!!

38. kay

So if you want to tell it, makre sure your reasons are justified! And show you really care, invite the kid into your home or agree to visit or support the kid until they are 18 to 21 years old. Don’t leave them out there ALONE!!!!

39. Vickie Anderson

As a retired CPS worker I’ve seen hundreds of cases like this. These parents hit, spank, whip, emotionally and/or mental abuse their children because they (the parent) is out of control. If you can’t teach a child without beating them, you are the problem. I was beat all of my childhood and knew there had to be a better way. Time out and restrictions work if you really consistently use them. Hitting is easier, faster and lets the parent get rid of their anger at least for a while. It doesn’t teach the child anything except that a bigger person has physical power over another. This is called bulling.

40. Meghann

Let the mom go home and make her take parenting classes and send the daughter home. This child will come to more harm in foster care with strangers. I do not agree with slapping a child in the face or hitting them in the face with a belt, but jail is to extreme in this case for the mom. Never discipline your child in public or when you are angry. Stop, and think before you act.

41. jeffrey morris

no she should not be arrested, that is what is wrong with kids today. you can,t punish them if they do wrong. if you don,t punish them when they do wrong you will be visiting trem in prison, plus they will be cussing you out at an early age and dis respecting you too. they know that they can call the police if you punish them. that is why they do what they do because they know they can get away with it.you should let the police take them home with them and see how long they put up with your kids shit and see how long they take it then they will see where you are coming from.

42. Bailey626

If spanking/beating/whooping your child works so well, why has this mom had to do it repeatedly, on top of ALL of the other discipline measures (grounding, taking away luxury items, etc)? So many of you commenting mention being hit growing up, and most of these stories sound like there were many such instances, not just one. Yet, somehow, those beatings didn’t put you any further ahead than kids who don’t get abused growing up (and, we could argue, probably deal with emotional and anger issues more than those kids, as well). So, are kids that get hit just rotten kids to begin with, and need to be whipped just to keep them from going off the rails? Or is it possible that, in a more nurturing environment, those kids could have grown into exceptional adults? The real shame is, we’ll never get the chance to know.
    And staaaaap with the “better we spank them at 8 than the police shoot them at 15!” nonsense. The difference is that the police respond to situations they have little knowledge of ahead of time, and little control of initially. They are trained to eliminate the threat (to their own safety and the public’s). Parents, like in this case, are NOT in fear for their life. They should already be in control of the situation, but they are using corporal punishment to somehow teach life lessons. This mom, by her own admission, let her emotions get the best of her. It is NOT the same thing.

43. MJ

Yes, she should have been arrested and thank goodness it happened where others could witness, the girl would never have said anything otherwise. If the mother had hit her spouse or another adult, she would have been arrested. Why not a helpless child? This country should outlaw corporal punishment–it’s not necessary, creates trauma for the child and contributes to the violence we are experiencing by our youth. There’s always an alternative.

• Chris

It’s evident that you have never had children. Corporal punishment is natural to a child. Just like it is with a tree that’s young and you want to bend it a certain way. You do it so it will grow right in your garden or yard. The person is in your house and your house there are rules. Those rules must be followed or there are consequences. There is no such thing as time out with a twelve year old. Duhhhhhh

44. Chris

I believe the bible says beat them with a rod and it will not hurt. She seems pretty in sinc when she told the police what her mother had done. Didn’t seem like it hurt to much. Why are the police getting involved with family?????? You want us to raise our children so they will be viable to society, but when you get involved you stop the process. If it were me, I’d leave that girl in child protective services and pay for someone else to take care if her. They will see the real truth.

45. Tony Morgan

I will say this, if you don’t want to train up a child in the way they should go and when that child gets older they want depart from that way, then that’s your choice. If you think spare the rod spoil the child isn’t for you because of whatever reason you decide then so be it. Most parents spank, hit, slap, out of anger for what the child did. Bad time to show discipline via the rod method which I support and was brought up on. Parents should WAIT minutes hours days let the child think they gotten away with something then when you are cool calm and collected spank that child reminding what they did first and why they are getting a spanking . This method never fails and the child realizes one or too things, you don’t play and you don’t forget a behavior
    change will take place because its gods way not mans.

46. Sha

Arrested for what? Either the mother (apparently single) handles her business or the daughter can/will end up (a) Shot; (b) Imprisoned; (c) Pregnant; (d) A dropout; or (e) an Addict. Unfortunately, these are the consequences when black children who don’t want to “play by the rules” encounter.

If the mother wasn’t interested in her daughter getting a good education, she wouldn’t have a Tutor. Time for “outsiders” to mind their own business when it comes to how parents discipline their children. Mind you, I’m not advocating for ABUSE, I’m advocating for parents to rule the nest accordingly.

47. Danita Ford

well my grand mother daddy and mom tore me up if i did something wrong and oh i cannot forget my aunt she did not play either,.That is were you learned respect .The devil is here and he wants all the souls he can get before christ comes so if you take your children to church our be a christian and show morals your kids will know mom does not play that and they will know right from wrong.Yes the bible said that because god knows that you have to be obedient in order to follow him when he comes back .And if you start when they are little they will grow up to be product citizens .Because now that we cannot whip are children they are been killed and locked up .Some one has to be the parent and guide them to make a life for them selves ,But this world has every one thinking that they have rights but yet the police takes those rights away and beat you and kill you.But yet they will arrested you for doing so .Why because they are the ones that are suppose to do this not a citizens they have no rights on any thing today and our races has it bad ,I remember when the police killed and beat us before there was law ,But it is only for them not us,So sad that we cannot do anything for peace any more.I have three kids and they all know that i do not play .And all my kids have boundaries and understand that jail is no place for any one and that is place that you do not want to go.But if you live in a inner city were this all you see for a way of survival this what they want in our government and then they call us animals and thugs because the parent has lost all control for not being the parent beating does work ,the police think so .So why should we not do that to keep our youth from feeling from them.She did the right thing and i hope that her daughter one day will see that her mother was showing her love wither she think so are not.

48. Renee Dakari

First they attack the men of african descent now they are attacking we women of african descent. How long will this continue I do not know. What I do know is this: White men and women have been beating men and women of african descent for years and their voices went unheard. Today the same is continuing. Men and women of african descent are beaten until dead and whites do it out of their disdain for our skin color. White men in and women are in our lives “every single day”. Telling us how we are to live our lives. I do not know nor does anyone else know the truth behind this child being beaten with a belt. It would seem this child wanted to get her mother in trouble. If the mother beat her child out of hate for her shame on the mother she should spoken to and possibly jailed. However, I still believe if your child does not listen when you give them time out, or a spoken warning then your next action would be tearing that behind up. Not out of anger, but of love. We must remember anytime something goes into law it is not because of people of african descent it is due to white people. They are the ones who beat their children moreso then us. This is the reason the laws were enacted not due to people of african descent. However, when they create the laws for themselves we are caught in the mess. I got my behind tore up. I am just fine and if my grandchildren mess up get the jail cell ready. If I do not keep them in line and be respectful towards others the white police will.